The start of football season marks a change in the seasons. In the fall, you can enjoy the leaves crunching underfoot and the last days of warm weather before winter – but don’t forget about your roof! Winter is probably the last thing on your mind, but there’s work to be done to prepare your roof for the first freeze and the first snow. Before winter hits, you’ll want to take a few important steps to winterize your roof. Check out our list below: 5 Steps to Winterize Your Roof, to make sure your roof is ready for winter.
5 Steps to Winterize Your Roof
- Clean up outside. With all the leaves changing color and falling in autumn, you’ll want to be sure your roof is clean from all debris. In particular, you need to clean all gutters of leaves, twigs, and other debris so that any rainwater or melting snow can drain properly. It’s also important to trim back any branches that might hang over your roof. Once there’s ice on your roof, you won’t be able to clear any debris safely.
- Inspect & repair your roof. It’s much easier to deal with any problems on your roof before the weather gets cold than to worry about having your roof repaired in the middle of January. If you feel comfortable getting on top of your roof, you can check for most problems yourself. Look for torn or missing shingles, cracked caulking, or loose flashing. Any of these problems need to be taken care of before they turn into something bigger – shingles should be replaced, caulking removed and redone, and flashing secured back down. If the problems are too widespread or you don’t feel like you can fix them yourself, call Summit Roofing Solutions to help repair the damage before winter hits.
- Check your attic. When you’re going through the steps to winterize your roof, it can be easy to forget about the inside of your home. But your attic is the first interior place to check for problems due to its proximity to the roof. You’ll need to look for any obvious problems, like leaks or drafts, but you’ll also want to be sure that air is circulating properly. This is important not only for your roof but for the inside of your home as well.
- Look at your ceilings. Take a survey of the ceilings in your home and check for stains or leaks. Hopefully, if you’ve found one before, you’ve already investigated and repaired the source of the stain. If not, fall is definitely the time to take care of it before any leak worsens.
- Clean your chimney. With cold winter nights coming sooner than we’d all like, you know you’ll be using your fireplace and chimney this winter. If you have a wood-burning fireplace, you should have your chimney regularly inspected and cleaned, and what better time to do that than right before the season it gets the most use? Decrease the risk of fire to your roof and/or home with a clean chimney.
It’s easy to put off maintenance when the weather is beautiful, but winter is coming, and timing is key. Winterize too early, and your roof might collect more debris or have problems later in the fall that you won’t catch before winter. However, if you put off these steps for too long, you risk not being able to complete your prep work before the first snowfall. Once the last of the leaves are falling but the weather is still mild, follow our steps to winterize your roof to keep your family home warm and dry this winter. Need help? Contact Summit Roofing Solutions, LLC.
Let’s face it: hail storms can wreak havoc on your property – on your car, yard, and home. The most important thing to do after these storms is hail damage roof repair. You want to restore your roof so that the next time a storm comes along, your roof won’t leak but will keep your home safe and dry. Looking for tips on how to care for your roof after a hailstorm? Read our checklist below to get started.
First 5 Steps for Hail Damage Roof Repair
- Wait for a clear day. The worst time to assess the damage is immediately afterwards. You need a dry day to inspect your roof for your own safety. Feel free to take pictures or videos, but save any up-close physical inspections for after the hail has melted and the rainwater has dried.
- Clear debris. Hail storms can affect your whole property. Be sure to clear your gutters and roof from any excess twigs, leaves, or even branches that might have been downed by the storm. Not only can this debris cover up problem areas, but it can also prevent water from draining properly in future storms. Before you can start any hail damage roof repair, you need a clear roof.
- Check for damaged shingles. A torn or missing shingle here or there might not seem like that big of a deal, but it can lead to major consequences for your roof if not fixed. If you see any damage to your roof’s shingles, you’ll need to replace those shingles. Small problems – like curling shingles or just a few tears – can be easily fixed by a handy homeowner. However, if you notice major or widespread damage, it’s best to call an experienced professional you can trust – Summit Roofing Solutions. We won’t wait until a free Saturday morning to fix your roof. We’ll assess and repair the damage as soon as possible.
- Check caulking. Caulking can be a sensitive spot for your roof. You want to be sure there are no gaps in your roof’s caulking. Any exposed areas leave your roof vulnerable to the next storm. Like other roofing concerns, caulking can be a do-it-yourself project if the area to be re-sealed is small and easily accessible.
- Call an expert roofer. If the damage is widespread or significant, you’ll want the professionals at Summit Roofing Solutions to repair your roof. As the first line of defense for your home against the elements, your roof is too important to delay repairing.
Don’t put off inspecting your roof for damage! No one should have to risk further damage to his or her home because of a busy schedule or a fear of heights. If your roof is particularly high and steep or if the first days back to school are just too crazy, call the trustworthy experts at Summit Roofing Solutions. We have the equipment and experience to inspect and repair your roof to keep your home safe and dry. Whatever the reason for your call, Summit Roofing Solutions will help you rest easy by taking care of your needed hail damage roof repair.
Best Local Roofing Company Greeley CO
When it comes to your home, you need nothing less than the best. The first line of defense for your house is your roof – protecting you and your family from the elements and more. To keep your home warm, dry, and safe, look no further than Summit Roofing Solutions
– the Best Local Roofing Company in Greeley CO!
Why choose a local company?
National companies seem to have everything together. They’ve been so successful that you can find them nationwide, and a bigger company can get your project done more quickly, right? Not necessarily. There are many benefits to choosing a local roofer instead of a nationwide company.
Here’s what the best local roofing company in Greeley, CO, has to offer:
• Knowledge of the Area: Every area has unique roofing needs, and Northern Colorado is no different. The weather is constantly changing, and the climate is dry. You need a roof that can stand up to six or more inches of snow that then melts within days.
• Community Commitment: Our business isn’t just located in Greeley; our community is Greeley. We base our success on the success of our community, which means taking care of our customers and their every need. When the community succeeds, we all succeed.
• 25+ Years of Experience: With over a quarter of a century’s worth of experience, we know roofing
. You can trust that your roof is in good hands with our father-son team; over the years, we’ve seen it all and can handle almost any roofing problem.
• Locally Owned: Summit Roofing Solutions is family owned
right here in Colorado! When you call us, you’re calling a company that cares about its community and your roofing needs. We’re a small, family-run roofing company because we are committed to providing nothing short of the best service to our own community right here in Northern Colorado.
If your roof needs repairs or your home needs a new roof, call the best local roofing company in Greeley, CO – Summit Roofing Solutions. We’re the local experts who respond quickly and professionally to take care of all your roofing needs in Greeley, CO, and our neighboring communities.