Commercial roofs are made tough for a reason, but even the best commercial roof can still sustain hail damage if the storm is strong enough. Wind and hail can cause severe damage to your commercial roof. While it may be easy to visibly see commercial roof hail damage in some instances, not all damages are that obvious. Even if you don’t notice damage after a storm immediately, it’s important to thoroughly inspect your roof if you suspect hail damage might be present. Keep reading to discover some signs to look for in commercial roof hail damage.
Commercial roof hail damage: signs that your roof has been impacted by the storm
There are dents, cracks, or divots
One of the most obvious signs of commercial roof hail damage is if you find visible dents on your roof after a storm. Commercial roofs are typically made of soft metal, asphalt, or, in some cases, wood which can cause dents to appear if hail is large enough to make an impact. You may notice that dents are clustered together, or spread across the entire roof, so be sure to inspect the entire roof to ensure there’s not more damage on another area of the roof that you may have missed. Dents, cracks, or divots can weaken the membrane of your roof, leading to water damage, so don’t take damage lightly.
Spots or markings
Another sign that you may have sustained commercial roof hail damage is if you find spots or markings that have scuffed up your roof. Your roofing materials may be able to hold off denting in some cases if the hail is small enough, but in other cases, may still leave a mark on your shingles. Most of the time, markings don’t affect the integrity of your roof, but it’s always a good idea to get a professional to check it out if you are unsure.
During a hail storm, high winds can pull back shingles or bend other roofing materials causing commercial roof hail damage. Since this type of damage makes your commercial roof particularly vulnerable to water damage occurring, it’s a good idea to call your roofing contractor shortly after this type of damage occurs. It may not look like much, but it’s better to take care of damage early on rather than wait for it to get worse with additional storms that may blow through.
Have you seen any of these signs of commercial roof hail damage recently? We’d love to help you get back to having a properly functioning roof by working with Summit Roofing Solutions LLC. Interested in learning about more signs of commercial roof hail damage? Take a look at the 12 bonus signs of damage below. If you experience any of these signs, contact a professional to get the process started in repairing your roof.
- Granule Loss: Hail impact can cause the granules on the surface of asphalt shingles to dislodge. These granules play a vital role in protecting the roof from UV rays and water damage. Granule loss can lead to premature deterioration of the shingles and potential leaks.
- Exposed Underlayment: If the hail is strong enough, it can damage the top layer of shingles, exposing the underlayment beneath. This can leave the roof vulnerable to moisture infiltration and accelerate deterioration.
- Flashing Damage: Hail can dent or damage metal flashing around chimneys, vents, and other roof penetrations. Damaged flashing can lead to water intrusion and potential leaks in these critical areas.
- Split Shingles: Larger hailstones can cause shingles to crack or split. These cracks might not be immediately noticeable, but can worsen over time, leading to water seepage and interior damage.
- Loss of Energy Efficiency: Hail impacts can compromise the reflective properties of roofing materials, reducing the roof’s energy efficiency. This can lead to higher cooling costs for the building.
- Gutter and Downspout Damage: Hail can dent or damage gutters and downspouts. This can impede proper water drainage, leading to water pooling on the roof or overflowing gutters, which can damage the building’s foundation.
- Membrane Punctures: For flat or low-slope roofs with membrane systems, hail can puncture the membrane. These punctures might not immediately result in leaks, but can lead to water infiltration over time.
- Cracked Skylights: Skylights are susceptible to hail damage. Cracks in skylights can lead to leaks and impact the interior of the building by allowing water to enter.
- Damage to HVAC Units: Hail can dent or damage HVAC units and rooftop equipment. This can affect the efficiency and functionality of these systems, leading to potential operational issues.
- Wet Insulation: Hail damage might not cause immediate leaks, but it can create hairline fractures in roofing materials. Over time, these fractures can allow moisture to seep into the insulation layer, reducing its effectiveness and potentially leading to mold growth.
- Impact on Drainage Systems: Hail can block or damage roof drains and scuppers. This can hinder the roof’s ability to drain water properly, leading to ponding and potential roof damage due to prolonged exposure to standing water.
- Substrate Damage: Hail impacts can cause structural damage to the substrate beneath the roofing materials. This can weaken the roof’s overall integrity and contribute to long-term issues.
It’s essential to regularly inspect commercial roofs for these signs of hail damage, as prompt identification and repair can prevent further deterioration and costly repairs down the line.
Looking for more reasons to consider working with Summit Roofing Solutions LLC? Check out this recent 5-star review from our customer, Val Christian.
“Singing praises🙏to Summit Roofing! This is a family-owned/run biz. After having our gutters cleaned we still had an issue with overflowing downspouts/gutters. This was after we had the gutters cleaned. Called Summit as we have used them previously, and they said they’d be out ASAP. After a 12-hour day replacing northern roofs due to hail, they made the extra effort to come by and see what was going on at our home. After inspecting our roof they said all was good. They knew we had the gutters cleaned. They then took a hose to the downspout and with great effort and manipulation, they finally were able to unclog our problem downspout. After today’s storm, we knew our problem was solved! God Bless them and their entire team! We will never have anyone other than the Summit family do anything regarding our roof etc. When we asked what we owed they said nothing. This is a fantastic company as they know and value customers. They are the epitome of the “good old days” of customer service. Going above and beyond! When was the last time we all have experienced this? Unheard of in the current climate 🙏 TUSM! You all ROCK!!!”
Summit Roofing Solutions, LLC is a local roofing company specializing in residential roofing and repairs. We also take care of windows, gutters, siding, stucco, garage doors, paint – everything including your roof. Our family-owned company also provides roofing repair after hail storms. If you need a new roof due to damage caused by hail, we are happy to assist you. We serve Greeley, Fort Collins, Loveland, and all of Northern Colorado. Call 970-381-9926 to contact us about scheduling your roofing replacement or for a free estimate. We look forward to working with you soon!