Let’s face it: Colorado weather is unpredictable, especially in the summer. It can go from hailing and flooding one week to hot and dry the next. After those severe hailstorms, you’ll likely notice downed branches or dents in your car. But what about your roof? Repairing shingles due to summer storms that can tear and damage shingles is critical. And you might not even know of the roof damage before it’s too late.
Here’s what you need to consider when checking and repairing shingles on your roof:
- Weather: It’s important you check your roof after major storms, but any inspections or repairs should wait for warm, dry weather. It’s already dangerous to climb on top of your roof – don’t let wet and cold conditions make matters worse. Also, if you plan to replace a few damaged or missing shingles, you’ll need warm and dry weather to protect against further damage.
- Accessibility: If you’re debating between checking the roof yourself and calling a professional, consider your safety first. Is your roof easily accessible? Do you have a sturdy ladder and another person to spot and help you? How many stories does your house have? Does the roof have a steep or gradual slope? If you’re feeling uncomfortable, call us: Summit Roofing Solutions, LLC. We are roofing experts with the right equipment and experience to assess and repair your roof.
- Timing: Fall is the best time to repair shingles, with plenty of time before the first snow. Not only does winter weather make roof repairs more difficult and dangerous, but you’ll find that your heating bill goes up when your roof is allowing heat to escape. Make the investment in your roof now before you find yourself with an expensive problem.
Extent of damage: Depending on the type of damage, you might be able to make the repairs yourself. Curling shingles can be easily glued down, and a few missing or torn shingles can be replaced. These repairs should be handled sooner rather than later but can wait for an upcoming weekend with the right weather. However, significant or widespread damage needs to be dealt with immediately before it escalates into a rotting or leaking roof.
Your home’s roof is your first line of defense from the elements. Don’t put your family at risk during the next storm by neglecting your roof. Repairing shingles can be quick and easy, but if the necessary repairs are delayed or ignored, it can lead to even bigger problems. Be prepared for Colorado weather with a strong and sturdy roof.
Your home is one of your most valuable investments. Your roof protects your home; therefore, your roof is probably THE most important part of your home. Don’t wait until it starts leaking before you go searching for a Greeley Roof Repair Company. We’ve got some tips to help you keep up your roof maintenance.
- Call a pro for this: If you’ve noticed your energy bill is going up every month, perhaps your roof has penetrations, which are causing your heat (or in the summer, your cool air) to literally go through your roof. If you have any penetrations in your roof, you’re probably getting moisture in your attic after rain or snow storms, which can lead to mold. If you are noticing these problems, these are the kind of problems that would be challenging for you to solve yourself. These types of roof problems are best handled by a professional Greeley Roof Repair Company (like us).
- Self-Maintenance: There are some things you can do on your own to maintain your roof. Cleaning your gutters keeps debris from building up or backing up onto your roof. Once a year, you should clear cobwebs and leaves from around the ventilation pipes on your roof. Seal them to prevent moisture from getting in. Another easy way to maintain the integrity of your roof is to re-caulk any exposed nails that can be found on all of your roofs vents, and pipe jacks.
- Choosing the right shingles: When it comes time to get your roof repaired or replaced, choosing the right shingle is critical to your investment. Most insurance companies will give the policy holder (you) a discount for upgrading your shingles to a class 4 (hail resistant) shingle. Sometimes as much as a 30 percent discount on your premiums! Not only will you be getting a discount on your policy but you will have a much better and long-term shingle protecting your investment. Be sure to talk with your agent about the benefits you might receive before making your next step in replacing with a class 4 shingle.
- Choosing the right color: Realtor magazine says that the top 10 things that homeowners consider when choosing the purchase of a new home is the color of the roof. That’s called “curb appeal.” Keep that in mind when you choose your roof color. Even though you might not be planning on selling your home soon, a good roof, when installed by professional Greeley Roof Repair Companies such as ours, Summit Roofing Solutions, LLC, can make or break a future sale 10 years from now.
Greeley Roof Repair
Your roof protects your home and is probably THE most important part of your home. Don’t wait until it your heating bill goes up before you go searching for a Greeley Roof Repair Company. Call us so we can help you keep up your roof maintenance.